Design of Cable-Supported Bridges: Control Strategies
- 3.1k Downloads
The introduction of cable-supported bridges in modern-day bridge engineering, in the form of cable-stayed and suspension bridges, allowed to overcome spans unimagined decades ago. This was helped by advances in construction, materials, equipment, and numerical methods. Nowadays, the implementation of cable-supported structural schemes allows to span lengths in the range from 200 m to 2,000 m (and beyond), thus covering approximately 90 % of the present span range (Gimsing and Georgakis 2012).
新皇冠体育appCable-supported bridges are basically divided into two types: cable-stayed and suspension bridges. Although both have as common factor the cable support, their geometry and structural configuration are radically different.
新皇冠体育appCable-stayed bridges, in which the bridge deck is supported by straight cables directly by the pylons, emerged in their modern form...
- Bontempi F (2006) Basis of design and expected performances for the Messina Strait Bridge. In: International conference on bridge engineering – challenges in the 21st century, Hong Kong, 1–3 Nov.
- Burdette NJ, Elnashai AS, Lupoi A, Sextos AG (2008) The effect of asynchronous earthquake motion on complex bridges. Part 1: methodology and input motion. J Br Eng ASCE 13(2):158–165
- Duan YF, Ni YQ, Ko JM (2006) Cable vibration control using magnetorheological dampers. J Intell Mater Syst Struct 17(4):321–325
- Filiatrault A, Tinawi R, Massicotte B (1993) Damage to cable-stayed bridge during 1988 Saguenay earthquake. I. Pseudostatic analysis. J struct Eng 119(5):1432–1449
- Fujino Y, Siringoringo D (2008) Structural health monitoring of bridges in Japan: an overview of the current trend. In: Fourth international conference on FRP composites in civil engineering (CICE2008), Zurich, 22–24 July.
- Fujino Y, Siringoringo D (2013) Vibration mechanisms and controls of long-span bridges: a review. Struct Eng Int 3:248–268
- Gimsing NJ, Georgakis CT (2012) Introduction, in Cable Supported Bridges: Concept and Design, Third Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781119978237.ch
- Housner G, Bergman L, Caughey T, Chassiakos A, Claus R, Masri S, Skelton R, Soong T, Spencer B, Yao J (1997) Structural control: past, present, and future. J Eng Mech 123(9):897–971
- Jacques C (2011) The Rion-Antirion bridge – when a dream becomes reality. Front Archit Civil Eng China 5(4):415–426
- Kitagawa M (2004) Technology of the Akashi Kaikyo bridge. Struct Control Health Monit 11:75–90
- Koh H-M, Lee H-S, Kim S, Choo JF (2009) Monitoring of bridges in Korea. In: Christian B, Fou-Kuo C, Yozo F (eds), Encyclopedia of structural health monitoring. Wiley.
- Kosa K, Tasaki K (2003) Detailed investigation of PC Cable-stayed Bridge damaged in the 1999 Taiwan earthquake. In: Proceedings of the 19th US – Japan Bridge Engineering Workshop, Tsukuba Science City, Japan, 27–29 Oct.
- Li H, Liu M, Li J, Guan X, Ou J (2007) Vibration control of stay cables of the Shandong Binzhou Yellow River Highway Bridge using magnetorheological fluid dampers. J Br Eng ASCE 12(4):401–409
- Naganuma T, Kitazawa M, Adachi Y, Noguchi J (2000) Seismic design and behavior of the Higashi-Kobe Bridge and restoration after the 1995 Kobe Earthquake. 12 WCEE, paper no 2793, Auckland
- Ni YQ, Wong KY (2012) Integrating bridge structural health monitoring and condition-based maintenance management. Lecture 06: workshop on civil structural health monitoring (CSHM-4) “SHM systems supporting extension of the structures’ service life”, Berlin, 6–8 Nov
- Papanikolas P, Stathopoulos-Vlamis A, Panagis A, Pecker A, Infanti S (2010) The behavior of Rion-Antirion Bridge during the Earthquake of “ACHAIA-ILIA” on June 8, 2008. In: Third international fib congress incorporating the PCI annual convention and bridge conference, Washington, DC, 29 May–2 June
- Patel DJ (2013) Shock transmission units in construction. ICE, London
- Shen WA, Zhu S (2014) Harvesting energy via electromagnetic damper: application to bridge stay cables. J Intell Mater Syst Struct. doi:10.1177/1045389X13519003, Published online before print 21 Jan 2014
- Siringoringo D, Fujino Y, Namikawa K (2013) Seismic response analyses of the Yokohama Bay cable-stayed bridge in the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake. J Br Eng ASCE. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000508, A4014006
- Spencer B, Nagarajaiah S (2003) State of the art of structural control. J Struct Eng ASCE 129(7):845–856
- Spencer BF, Soong TT (1999) New application and development of active, semi-active and Hybrid control techniques for seismic and non seismic vibration in the USA. In: International post-SmiRT conference seminar on seismic isolation, passive energy dissipation and active control of vibration of structures, Cheju, 23–25 Aug
- Sun L, Sun Z, Dan D, Zhang Q, Huang H (2009) Researches and implementations of structural health monitoring systems for long span bridges in China. Doboku Gakkai Ronbunshuu A 65(1):15–29
- Wierschem NE, Spencer B, Bergman LA, Vakakis AF (2011) Numerical study of nonlinear energy sinks for seismic response reduction. In: ANCRISST 2011 – The sixth international workshop on advanced smart structures and technology, Dalian
- Yao JTP (1972) Concept of structural control. J Struct Div 98(7):1567–1574
- You Q, He P, Dong X, Zhang X, Wu S (2008) Sutong bridge – the longest cable-stayed bridge in the world. Struct Eng Int 18(4):390–395